During the city’s history it was settled by Canaanites, Philistines, Israelites, Byzantines, Crusaders and Arabs.
Census 1596 showed it had 413 people. During ww1 Brits brought immigrants from Egypt to work there and until 1948 the population rose to 5000.
The village was occupied by the Egyptian army on May 29, 1948, and became the Egyptians’ northernmost position during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. For three nights from 18 October the Israeli Air Force bombed it and several other locations.Fearing encirclement, Egyptian forces retreated on October 28, 1948 and the majority of the residents fled. The 300 townspeople who remained were moved to Gaza.
The village was part of territory that was granted to Israel in the 1949 Armistice Agreements following the end of the war.
The modern city of Ashdod was founded in 1956.
located in the Southern District of Israel on the Mediterranean Sea coast, is a city of 222,883 people located approximately 43.5 miles (70 km) from Jerusalem and Beer Sheba. Ashdod is an important regional industrial center. The Port of Ashdod is Israel’s largest port, and is southern Israel’s only outlet to the Mediterranean. The artificial port, enclosed by breakwaters, accounts for 60 percent of the country’s imported goods, while much of the country’s citrus crop is exported through it.