A city in the Central District of Israel, about 20 kilometers (12 miles) south of Tel Aviv. It was established in 1890. It was founded out of special cooperation between the initiatives of Jews from abroad, who joined the “Menucha VeNachala” company, to residents of Israel who wanted to buy land and establish a Hebrew village on the land of Duran ( A desolate area between Nes Ziona and Ekron)
The members of Menucha VeNahla led the principles that guided the founders of Rehovot:
The establishment of an independent village, to be established by wealthy people, without the need for Baron Rothschild’s support.
The establishment of a moshava based on agricultural crops that will enable the moshavah to stand on its own.
The ten thousand dunams of Duran land, bought by Yehoshua Hankin, from the owner, Boutros Rock, who was a Christian Arab.
In 1914 the population of the colony numbered 955 inhabitants. Rehovot was declared a city in 1950
Israel Belkind, founder of the Bilu movement, proposed the name “Rehovot” based on Genesis 26:22: “And he called the name of it Rehoboth; and he said: ‘For now the Lord hath made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land’.” This Bible verse is also inscribed in the city’s logo. The biblical town of Rehoboth was located in the Negev Desert.
As of 2014, the city ranks 13th in the ranking of cities in Israel by size.
Ranked 7 out of 10, in the socio-economic cluster index for 2015.